Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Living without...

   The detox is over.  It lasted three weeks and it was a good thing to do.   The foods that I ate  were simple and nourishing.  I didn't eat potatoes or grains or alcohol during that time. I ate organic meats, vegetables and drank lots of water. During that time  I noticed my leg pain went away,  that achiness that I felt when I stood up in my knees and shins.  I even remarked to my family that it was gone, but I didn't know why.  


   It's been a week since I've been eating "normal".   And the pain is back, even worse.  This morning when I got out of bed my knees buckled, the pain was so great.  What is going on? 
Today I picked up an old copy of Living Without, a food magazine for those with food allergies and sensitivities. The article I turned to was about being allergic to nightshade vegetables.  It seems that tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers and chili peppers can, in some people,  cause arthritic pain,  nerve pain and other central nervous system problems.  Really?


    Then I remember that two nights ago I had made a delicious roasted chicken dish with roasted potatoes and  I had the leftovers for lunch the next day.  The next couple of day my legs were killing me.  I couldn't figure out why, until I read that article.  Not more food problems.


  What's a girl to do?  I am already GF, I tried meat free  and now I am to be free of certain vegetables too.  I just don't understand why.  Do I want to give up more foods?   Yes, if it means I can run and  hike and chase my granddaughter... pain free.  What a sacrifice!  Yet it is doable.


  I am going to give it a try for three more weeks.  No more roasted potatoes, mashed or baked.  No fajitas with peppers.  No Eggplant Parmigiana.  No spaghetti sauce or fresh tomatoes on my salad.  I will let you know if it works and is worth it.


 It will be if I can walk without grimacing.


http://www.getting-started-with-healthy-eating.com/nightshade-vegetables.html




Gabriela, so happy and carefree on the swing, (her mother was within reaching distance!)
I love the smudge of dirt on her nose:)

Happily sitting and posing for her Easter portrait.

Not so happy now.

See what I mean about keeping up with her!

All girl.
These great pictures were taken by my daughter, Cate Gordon.  She did a great job of photographing Gabriela Aylen Hull.

3 comments:

  1. Thats so interesting, but a little unfair too! Youll have to let me know if you feel better. Ela looks so much like Lauren did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone trys to eat right Nancy, it is you. Call me and I'll let you know what avenue I have taken of late.

    Cate did a beautiful job with the photos! But of course she had an sure thing subject. I can't believe how light Ela's hair is turning. I know it must be a blessing to get to be with her more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im sorry :( I do hope it helps but I hate it means less food for you to enjoy. I do hope you start to feel better.

    ReplyDelete