Thursday, May 23, 2013

Saying good-by

 A lot has happened this Spring.  I don't even know where to begin.  Since last summer we have been planning for a May wedding.  Mary and Andrew did walk down the grassy aisle in a gentle spring rain May 11th.  It was a lovely wedding, with beautiful homemade decorations, all the ideas from Mary's Pinterest.  After the gentle rain, once we were all safely under cover, the sky poured buckets.  But the music kept playing and the guests ate and danced and talked.  The rain did let up for a send off with sparklers as the newlywed couple ran for Andrew's grandfather's convertible.  As we waved good-bye a few drops of rain fell or maybe it was tears.






I know I'm not supposed to be sad at a wedding but it's not everyday that your daughter moves to Pueto Rico.  San Juan, in fact, for the next 3-5 years because of her husband's job.  I like adventure and new things, but I also like to see and hug and talk to my daughter. I will miss her.

Before Mary got married on the 11th, Cate graduated from high school on May 5th.  She had a special graduation ceremony in Winston Salem with FHE.  There were six girls graduating which made for an intimate ceremony.  I liked everything about it, from my husband saying a few words about Cate, to the rose she presented me, to the speaker and especially the slide show.  A few more tears fell  as pictures of Cate as a baby, toddler and finally young woman appeared.  I am losing another daughter, I feel.  This time to college as she prepares to do the things God has in store for her.  The changes in life are hard at times, good and proper, but still hard.









May 15th the hardest thing happened.  My husband's father died.  Granddaddy Gordon had been sick for five weeks and after a while we knew he didn't have much time left.  But it was still hard to lose him.  We had seen him the day before and he still knew Hart and asked for me.  I held his hand as he struggled to keep awake and to lay still.  It was painful watching him.  Hart stroked his father's head and spoke comforting words to him. We told him we loved him. The next day Hart's sister called and said that her dad was gone, gone home to heaven.  Relief but sadness overwhelmed us.  It is so hard to say good-by.





May 5th, May 11th and May 15th are dates I will never forget.  These days are ingrained in my memory forever.  The days I said good-by to a part of my life.  I know it will never be the same.  While my tears have dried, I am trying not to be sad.  How can I be when it is all good.

1 comment:

  1. This made me tear up. It has been quite the month. You have been through so much emotionally. I hope ya'll can get away for a little bit :)

    ReplyDelete