Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Homemade Yogurt



A good breakfast  is yogurt with walnuts, fruit and a drizzle of honey.  If  I'm really hungry I'll have a gluten-free muffin as well.  It's quick, easy and nutritious.  I love Stoneyfield Organic plain yogurt, but it's expensive so I decided I'd like to make my own.  I was in Goodwill and as I was perusing the appliance section I came upon a  Salton yogurt maker for just 2 or 3 dollars.  I figured since it was intact and cheap, I could take the risk of whether it worked or not.
After a good scrub, the ceramic cups are dishwasher safe, I searched for  recipes and found one from the Salton  website that I liked.  I successfully followed the instructions and poured the ingredients into the 5 cups of the yogurt maker and plugged it in.  Voila!   Ten hours later I had rich, creamy yogurt and it's delicious too.


        
My Goodwill Salton Yogurt Maker
                                                  

Plain Yogurt Recipe

1quart organic milk
1 TB plain yogurt (this is your starter).
Bring milk to a boil ( heat until 185 degrees).
Cool milk until it reaches 110 degrees.
Add the TB yogurt starter.  Stir well.
Pour into the 5 serving jars, cover.
Plug in yogurt maker and set the dial for 10 hours.   

I'm looking forward to some freshly picked strawberries to put on my yogurt:)

No comments:

Post a Comment